Coconut Oil, most often regarded as the miracle oil as well for it multifarious use. It has a lot to offer your hair beyond your hair type.
Coconut oil can contribute a lot to make the hair look smooth, shiny, and locked in moisture. It’s true that you are free to use coconut oil the way you want.
However, when it comes to taking care of a special type, you should consider some specific methods, I guess.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Curly Hair?
Coconut oil is great not only for curly hair but also for many types of hair. Coconut oil is a highly nourishing and moisturizing oil.
It is beneficial when it is applied correctly from scalp to the tip of the hair. It is highly rich in natural fatty acids that contain anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Coconut oil helps to restore the protein in hair from inside. It also makes the hair look smooth, shiny, and silky as well.
I have a naturally curly hair, and like the rest of the girls out there, I am also a big fan of this miracle oil for the results it brings to my hair.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Curly Hair:
Before you apply coconut oil on your head, I need to make sure you know the exact way to apply the oil all over your head without harming your hair.
Coconut oil works best when it is applied as a pre-wash conditioner. The oil helps to prevent your scalp from swelling. It restores the natural protein of hair.
However, you deserve to know that it is not equally suitable for every single hair type as well.
People who have medium or fine hair will be benefited most from coconut oil. On the other hand, people with dry and coarse hair may experience hair loss if they use coconut oil excessively.
So, you require keeping these facts in mind before you get started.
Moreover, you need to take a small amount of oil and apply it. When you take a lot of stuff, it’s actually not necessary as well as not good at all.
Just take a small amount and then warm it up between your palms. Now, apply gently from root to tip of your hair, and that’s it.
Now, let’s have a glance at how to apply coconut oil for curly hair in the following without delay:
1. As Daily Detangler:
I understand how hard it is when you have long and curly hair. I have curls, and I know how terrible it is to deal with the everyday tangles.
It seems like a never-ending battle sometimes, to be very practical. Coconut oil in this regard can help you to solve the problem out.
Follow the simple steps as stated below before styling or brushing your hair and see how coconut oil works as a detangler:
- Pour a small amount of the organic coconut oil into one bowl and place the bowl into another bowl. The inside bowl should be smaller than the outer one.
- Now fill the outer bowl with hot water and make sure that the inside bowl does not float and is partially submerged.
- Let the oil get warm.
- Now, take some oil into your fingertips and gently massage from the root of your hair to the tip.
- Take your time and comb your curly hair. It will be detangled.
2. For Deep Conditioning:
Coconut oil can be applied as a conditioner as well. It moisturizes the curly hair scalp and gives a healthy glow to the hair.
Follow the easy steps to make coconut oil a conditioner:
- At first, wash your hair and let it dry
- Collect a comb, a shower cap or a shower towel, the oil and two bowls of different size
- Por a small amount of oil into the smaller bowl
- Now set the smaller bowl into the larger one and pour hot water into the larger bowl like before
- Apply the oil with your fingertip from root to tip of the hair
- Then wrap your hair in a shower towel or cap and let it get soaked for 20-30 minutes
- Shampoo the hair
- Now let the hair dry and see the magic!
3. For Hair Color Base:
Coconut oil works as a natural hair color base for curly hair. It goes deep into the hair strands unlike the other oils and nourishes faster.
If you apply coconut oil before coloring, the color looks more vibrant and also prevents quick fading of the hair color as well.
- Gather all the ingredients: a comb, a shower cap, gloves, hair color, a container, two bowls and of course, the coconut oil.
- Take a few spoons of coconut oil into one bowl comparatively smaller than the other
- Set the two bowls and pour hot water into the bigger bowl while the smaller bowl is into it
- Let the oil come to a warm temperature and let it get melted
- Mix the hair color with the coconut oil
- Apply the color on your hair and wait for few hours
- Apply shampoo and rinse off the products from hair
- Let it dry, and there you go!
4. To Defeat Dandruff:
Dandruff is a widespread hair problem. It is such a thing that you cannot even think to get rid of permanently.
However, you can use coconut oil for curly hair to heal dandruff for sure. Follow the simple steps below:
- Before bed time, wash your hair with natural shampoo and apply conditioner
- Apply lukewarm coconut oil to the scalp as well as to the hair strands and cover it up with a shower cap overnight
- In the next morning, unwrap the shower cap and take an Epsom salt treatment to exfoliate all the dry skin cells from the scalp
- Rinse off with cold water, and that’s it!
5. To Protect from Sun Damage:
You probably have heard that coconut oil is a natural sunscreen, right? It is not a big deal if you haven’t either.
If you did, you heard it right! Here is how you can apply coconut oil as a sunscreen. Just follow the steps as stated below:
- Take a small amount of extra virgin coconut oil and warm it up in a bowl
- Mix honey and aloe vera gel with it and make a paste
- Apply all over the head and scalp and put on a shower cap for at least half an hour
- Now rinse off the products with a mild and natural shampoo
- Apply conditioner
- It will work as a natural sunscreen all day long
6. For Faster Hair Growth:
Coconut oil helps to grow your curly hair faster and longer.
It contains some essential fatty acids and vitamins that are the natural food for your hair.
You can apply it on a daily basis by following the steps:
- Before bed time, shampoo your hair and condition as well
- Apply a small amount of lukewarm coconut oil, avocado oil, Vitamin E and extra virgin olive oil mix and put a shower towel to wrap the head
- Leave it overnight
- Rinse off the next day with mild shampoo and condition the hair
- It’s a great way to nourish your hair every day to make it silkier, smoother, and shinier.
Now, it’s your turn to get started with any of the tips as stated above. You can also switch between the tips to find out which works the best for you.
Hope you found the post helpful and you enjoyed going through it and if you need dryer for your curly hair, you may read this post – best dryer for curls.